A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

St. Thomas For Three Tuesday



About a month ago I included the ska instrumental number Musical Communion by Baba Brooks in a fresh catch playlist. I noted that it contained the uncredited head to a jazz standard, whose identity eluded me at the time.

Well lo and behold the Rhapsody gods were smiling on me last week when I shuffled the original version of St. Thomas, by its composer Sonny Rollins, into my Mixer. It appears on his definitive 1956 record Saxophone Colossus.

Another case closed. I've included the original, Musical Communion, and a rather happening, more recent interpretation from the Joshua Redman Quartet below.

St. Thomas For Three Playlist

St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
Musical Communion - Baba Brooks Band
St. Thomas - Joshua Redman Quartet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home