A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Monday, April 18, 2005

Those Monday Vibes

Here's another record I stumbled upon last week that unexpectedly floored me.

Milt Jackson - Sunflower - 1974

The man who redefined jazz vibraphone, recording in the mid-70's.

Cover of a contemporary soul hit.

A large string section.

Electric piano.

Five ostriches silhouetted by a buttery sunrise on the album cover.

The potential for high schmaltz is incredible.

Instead, Sunflower consistently delivers a sublime passion perfect for the coming of spring. I came to hear People Make The World Go Round, which is the high point, but the whole album is soul nourishing.

And what a lineup:
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, flugelhorn
Herbie Hancock - piano
Ron Carter - bass
Billy Cobham - drums
Jay Berliner - guitar

I'd never heard of Mr. Berliner before, but his guitar work perfectly push starts the album on its languid, loving way. As it turns out he's recorded with everyone from Charles Mingus to Laura Nyro to Frank Sinatra, and appears on the Animal House Soundtrack. Sounds like perfect playlist research material...

3 Comments:

Blogger covalent bond said...

Great album, I have been listening to it for a long time. I once had the pleasure of meeting Milt Jackson, it was quite an honor. I posted a jazz playlist today, as a matter of fact. Check it out it is called Music to Eat Quail By.

4/18/2005 4:45 PM

 
Blogger covalent bond said...

By the way, thanks for the link. I just returned the favor.

4/18/2005 4:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, nice recording. I added it to my library.

4/21/2005 11:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home