A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Baritones in the Sun

They've got the otherworldly deep voices that rock you down to the first chakra. The Baritones.

The first song that pulled me in to their sexy, subterranean realm was a version of Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me on a Roland Kirk record sung by Al Hibbler. I was amazed someone could sing so low and still be so expressive and acrobatic.

Unfortunately that track's not available on Rhapsody, but here's a playlist of stellar baritone performances. Let me know if there's any standouts missing (I almost overlooked Kurt Elling until Covalent Bond refreshed my memory with his Quail-Eating Playlist).


Earl Coleman - Two Different Worlds
Arthur Prysock - Blue Velvet
Johnny Hartman - My One and Only Love
Jon Hendricks - In Walked Bud
Al Hibbler - Pretty Woman
Billy Eckstine - Tenderly
Kurt Elling - Night Dreamer
Joe Williams - Smack Dab In The Middle

1 Comments:

Blogger covalent bond said...

Mr Shifty,

An absolute fabulous list! I hope there are more people out there who appreciate this music and Rhapsody.

4/20/2005 4:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home