A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Won't Somebody Please Think About the Children?!



Today on R&S we climb to new highs of schmaltz-itude previously undreamt by mere mortals. For today we dish up a playlist entirely a cappella. The songs by Ookla the Mok in yesterday's Fantastic Four playlist stirred up a maelstrom of a cappella memories I thought I'd pushed into the dankest remotes of my subconscious. My only recourse was to exorcise the beast by assembling this playlist and unleashing its full fury upon the Rhapsody blogosphere.

I lived a life blissfully unaware of the seedy a cappella underbelly of America until I was a senior in high school. One of my friends fell in with a Wheaton Whim, and duped me into going to a "concert." Let me just say that the things I witnessed that day were seared into that place in the mind usually reserved for horrible car accidents or walking in on your parents having sex. And yet, that version of "Santa Catalina (Island of Romance)" was so sublime and catchy. My appetite for harmony and the ridiculous said I couldn't just discount a cappella totally. I've been doomed to a life of ribaldry and schmaltz ever since. But who's complaining?


Let this playlist be a cautionary tale to America's youth.

Schmaltz A Pella Playlist

Happy Together - Stanford University Mendicants
Because - The Nylons
Study War No More - Sweet Honey In the Rock
I'm Your Baby Tonight - Tufts University Amalgamates
Rainbow Connection - Utah State That One
Truck Drivin' Man - The Edlos

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a great a capella band, The Persuasions. I saw them at the late Bottom Line in NY many years ago and they used to do this thing where they would invite audience members onstage during one of their a capella jams. Despite my horrible voice, I got into it and got into a 'woo-hooo' contest with the lead singer.

5/24/2005 2:37 PM

 
Blogger J Shifty said...

I would love to see the Persuasions. In my research for this playlist I saw they were first signed by Frank Zappa, and at one point recorded an entire a cappella album of Zappa songs. Of course it's not on Rhapsody. There is one Zappa track "Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up" on their Rhapvailable album "Right Around The Corner."

5/25/2005 9:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home