A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Monday, November 10, 2008

Shelf Browsing Fresh Catch Playlist



Before modern technological marvels like Rhapsody existed, I made most of my more serendipitous musical discoveries in the neglected "media" rooms of our nation's libraries.

From the walls of jazz vinyl in the Brookline Public Library where I first heard gritty chunks of Get Up With It and Naked City right next to fluffier bits like Kai and JJ. To the recorded lecture archives of my alma mater that provided the exclusive Kurt Vonnegut, Anne Sexton, and William S. Burroughs sound clips that peppered many a classic mix tape. To oddball kindred gems like Ry Cooder's Crossroads soundtrack and Volume 1 of the Asch Recordings.

I dare say aimlessly browsing the stacks of any library is one of my favorite human activities, and that's certainly linked to my obsession with the Rhapsody catalog.

Shelf Browsing Fresh Catch Playlist [Rhapsody Online Version]

Shelf Browsing Fresh Catch Playlist [Rhapsody Player Software Version]

Somebody's Callin' My Name - Ry Cooder
Moses Smote The Waters - The Thrasher Wonders
Where Could I Go But To The Lord? - Sister Ernestine Washington with Buck Johnson
Lonesome Train - Sonny Terry
Willie Brown Blues - Ry Cooder

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home