A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 MLB Walk Out Song Playlist Master Post



I started Ribaldry & Schmaltz as a place to note the more remarkable and unusual things I found while wandering the Rhapsody catalog. I avoided counters, ads, coherent design, and other such frivolities in an effort to keep the experience "pure". But then I saw the Smithsonian Institution of Hilarity that is the "Search Engine Phrases That Led Folks to TheWVSR" page at the incomparable West Virginia Surf Report. After that, I couldn't resist adding a counter to see what search phrases brought people to R&S.

It turns out most of them are looking for a list of Major League Baseball walk out songs. And all they learn is that Drake Lelane and I are a couple of nerds. The rest of the people who come here are wondering who sang the Love Boat Theme song, what songs were in the book Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, which Rolling Stones songs have lead vocals from Keith Richards, or what are the lyrics to Jumpin' With Symphony Sid.

So, in an effort to actually give the people what they want, and satisfy my own curiosity, I filled out contact forms on the Web pages of every team in Major League baseball, asking for a list of 2008 Walk Out Songs. I've only got a couple so far. My initial conclusion: somebody could get a PhD thesis out of trying to make sense of the psychology behind these lists.

I'll present them as they come in and I'm able to cobble playlists together. None are comprehensive so far, but even incomplete they're pretty illuminating.

Once the whole collection is done, I'll create a universal link post or some such thing.

ADDENDUM: For historical reference, here's a comprehensive "At-bat" song list compiled by Page 3 on ESPN.com from the 2004 season. It's based on direct interviews with the music staff for each team. Of interest, it notes that some players stick with the same song for several seasons while others change it up from day to day. So there you go. Walkout.

PUDENDUM: Here are links to the playlists of all the teams who responded. Note that the team who won the World Series responded, and the one that lost didn't. You had your chance, douchebags!

American League:
===============
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins

National League:
==============
Arizona Diamondbacks
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
St. Louis Cardinals

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home