A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Monday, April 25, 2005

TJ Kirk Source Material

One of my favorite records turns ten years old some time this year. TJ Kirk was an occasional side project featuring 8-string guitar magician Charlie Hunter. In 1995 they had all the elements necessary to whip my ears into a happy froth: an acrobatic three-guitar (and drums) celebration of the music of Thelonious Monk, James Brown, and Rahsaan Roland Kirk that was alternately funky, heavy, jazzy, and dreaddy. I was lucky to catch an early show at the Great American Music Hall in San Fransisco before they were forced to shed the original moniker James T. Kirk. I soon found a copy of the first album on cassette, and it didn't leave my player for a very long time.

None of the TJ Kirk records are currently available on Rhapsody. Here, though, is the track list source material for the first album:

TJ Kirk - TJ Kirk

Soul Power - Brown
Teo - Monk
Bemsha Swing - Monk
Shuffle Boil/You Can Have Watergate Just Gimme Some Bucks and I'll Be Straight - Monk/Brown
Volunteered Slavery - Kirk
Serenade to a Cuckoo - Kirk
Freaks for the Festival - Kirk
Cold Sweat/Rip, Rig, & Panic - Brown/Kirk
Humph - Monk
Epistrophy - Monk
I Got to Move/In Walked Bud - Brown/Monk
Jackie-ing - Monk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home