A Real Rhapsody playlist blog of questionable quality

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

My Coma Revival Plylist



We interrupt our regularly-scheduled Anita O'Day investigation for this coma revival playlist.

On Saturday Mark at MusicRocker posted a playlist designed to be played in the event he ever slips into a coma. A fantastic idea. In a previous life, I was a clinical dietitian who covered the ICU for a few years. I was suggesting tube feedings and IV nutrition details, but also observed hundreds of people go through several levels of consciousness day in and day out. I'd say that any little thing you can do to make such a micro-controlled, out-of-your-control environment a little more reflective of your own world the way you like it can only help your chances of recovery. The same recommendation would also apply to a long-term coma in a rehab facility or nursing home.

For practicality purposes, I'd settle for ten or twelve hours a day of whatever AM station broadcasts the Red Sox games. But, if technology allows and it doesn't interfere with any wireless equipment, regular doses of this playlist should help bring me back. It's a smorgasbord of rock, defiance, reflection, humor, and a little psychedelia for the morphine drip. Feel free to wave some warm peanut butter cookies under my nose every now and then, too.

Of note: Until now I've had an aversion to playlists over about ten songs long. This one tops off at thirty three. But hey, it's my coma and I'll stretch out if I want to!

My Coma Revival Playlist

Complete playlist in comments...

1 Comments:

Blogger J Shifty said...

The playlist itself:

1. Detroit Rock City - Kiss
2. Summer Of Roses - Willie Nelson
3. Stop That Train - Bob Marley & The Wailers
4. Don't Pull The Plug On Me - George Carlin
5. Back From the Dead - Bobby Byrd
6. Earache My Eye - Cheech and Chong
7. Nefertiti - Miles Davis
8. Give Me A Sign - Dean Martin
9. I Love My Shirt - Donovan
10. Up Against The Wall Redneck - Jerry Jeff Walker
11. This Train - Bunny Wailer
12. Heathens - Drive-By Truckers
13. Hairdresser On Fire - Morrissey
14. Grave Architecture - Pavement
15. Everybody Wants Some!! - Van Halen
16. Gigantic - The Pixies
17. You Blew Me Off - Bare Jr.
18. I Have Been In You - Frank Zappa
19. Jitterbug Waltz - Rahsaan Roland Kirk
20. I'll Fly Away - Johnny Cash
21. Muskrat Love - The Captain & Tennille
22. Stay Free - The Clash
23. Hero Worship - The B-52's
24. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
25. My Love Is A Flower (Just Beginning To Bloom) - Jonathan Richman
26. The Killing Moon - Pavement
27. Let The Mermaids Flirt With Me - Mississippi John Hurt
28. This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads
29. Open Sesame - Kool & The Gang
30. Good Hearted Woman - Waylon Jennings
31. Bird On The Wire - Leonard Cohen
32. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
33. What A Wonderful World - Joey Ramone

5/25/2005 9:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home